Thursday 23 August 2012

Between The Lines by Jodi Picoult & Samantha Van Leer

Between The Lines
Author: Jodi Picoult and Samantha Van Leer
Published: June 26th, 2012
Publisher: Simon Pulse
 
Goodreads Summary: "Delilah is a bit of a loner who prefers spending her time in the school library with her head in a book—one book in particular. Between the Lines may be a fairy tale, but it feels real. Prince Oliver is brave, adventurous, and loving. He really speaks to Delilah.

And then one day Oliver actually speaks to her. Turns out, Oliver is more than a one-dimensional storybook prince. He’s a restless teen who feels trapped by his literary existence and hates that his entire life is predetermined. He’s sure there’s more for him out there in the real world, and Delilah might just be his key to freedom.

Delilah and Oliver work together to attempt to get Oliver out of his book, a challenging task that forces them to examine their perceptions of fate, the world, and their places in it. And as their attraction to each other grows along the way, a romance blossoms that is anything but a fairy tale."
 

Concept/Ideas: 5/5
Storyline/Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4/5
Writing Style: 4/5
Overall Rating: 4.5/5

This was my first Jodi Picoult book. I have "My Sister's Keeper", although it hasn't been read yet. I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this book. I loved that her daughter had actually come up with the idea, and they co-wrote it together. That was unique!

The idea for the story was amazing. Who would have ever thought something like that? It definitely gave the book a unique and interesting feel to it. It automatically pulled me into the book, and trust me, did not let go.

Let's also begin by saying that I am NOT AT ALL into fairytales. I don't care for them at all, and I never have. I find fantasy to be boring. But this book? Completely changed my opinion on them.... well at least for this one.

I liked that the book was alternated between Delilah, Oliver, and then had excerpts from the "story" itself. That gave you a taste of the book that Delilah was reading, which was nice.

The story was a fairytale in itself. It was modern day, with a pinch of old fashioned styled, magical type to it too. It was fun, light, and a great read. I loved that in the end, it was definitely a true "happily ever after", which I felt was appropriate, even though some would say it was cheesy for being so picture perfect. That's was fairytales are. Happily ever after at it's finest.

Overall, I comppletely and totally reccommend this book! It so unique, and different. It's definitely a book for anyone looking for something fresh

1 comment:

  1. You MUST read My Sister's Keeper! So good. It's my favorite Jodi Picoult though I haven't read many. This is an interesting concept...great review!

    ReplyDelete