Wednesday 3 July 2013

The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen

The Moon and More
The Moon and More
Author: Sarah Dessen
Published: June 4th, 2013
Publisher:Viking Juvenile
 
Goodreads Summary: "Luke is the perfect boyfriend: handsome, kind, fun. He and Emaline have been together all through high school in Colby, the beach town where they both grew up. But now, in the summer before college, Emaline wonders if perfect is good enough.

Enter Theo, a super-ambitious outsider, a New Yorker assisting on a documentary film about a reclusive local artist. Theo's sophisticated, exciting, and, best of all, he thinks Emaline is much too smart for Colby.

Emaline's mostly-absentee father, too, thinks Emaline should have a bigger life, and he's convinced that an Ivy League education is the only route to realizing her potential. Emaline is attracted to the bright future that Theo and her father promise. But she also clings to the deep roots of her loving mother, stepfather, and sisters. Can she ignore the pull of the happily familiar world of Colby?

Emaline wants the moon and more, but how can she balance where she comes from with where she's going?

Sarah Dessen's devoted fans will welcome this story of romance, yearning, and, finally, empowerment. It could only happen in the summer"
 
Concept/Ideas: 3/5
Storyline/Plot: 4/5
Characters: 4.5/5
Writing Style: 5/5 
 
Ahhh! The Moon and More is truly my favorite Sarah Dessen book. Okay, I'm going to be honest. I was never really the Sarah Dessen fan one would expect a teen girl to be. A lot of her books were a bit boring to me, although I thought the issues presented in each novel have always been great.
 
The Moon and More had a good, fast-paced storyline, and I loved Emaline. Emaline was what I would call a 'kick ass' heroine type of character, which I don't usually pick out in novels. She was hardworking, and in a sense the type of person I aspire to be like. I felt that Emaline's character was strong, and she definitely was anything but your typical main character. I loved that for once, I truly enjoyed the protagonist of a story.
 
The other characters were well developed, and I enjoyed reading about them. Even though Theo and Luke may have seemed one way at the beginning of the novel, I was surprised by the end at how differently my feelings had changed for them. Dessen definitely gives you a run for your money. Certain people don't turn out to be who you think they are, and I think that's always a fresh and unique approach to books.
 
The writing had a rhythm to it, and it had a great flow. There wasn't really any dull moments for me in this book, which usually occurs when reading contemporary YA. I think for me, I read this book just at the right time in my life, as I felt like I could relate to Emaline and her problems extremely well. The book heavily focuses on family relationships, and trying to find oneself while still trying to keep those home roots. The book also deals with change, and how although change is inevitable, it's something that can be positive, and exciting.
 
As I said before, I was never much of a fan of Sarah Dessen's writing in the past. Sure, I liked her books, but never felt that 'hook' that others did. Maybe I just wasn't reading her books at the right time. Now, I can proudly say I truly enjoyed one of her books. Maybe it's because I related so well to Emaline in this one, which isn't something I can usually do.
 
The Moon and More is a perfect read for the summer, and I reccommend it! If your a Sarah Dessen fan, her new book will not disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment