Tuesday 1 January 2013

Love and Leftovers by Sarah Tregay

        Love and Leftovers            
Author: Sarah Tregay
Published: December 27th, 2011
Publisher: Katherine Tegen Books
 
Goodreads Summary: "My wish is to fall cranium over Converse in dizzy daydream-worthy love.

(If only it were that easy.)

Marcie has been dragged away from home for the summer--from Idaho to a family summerhouse in New Hampshire. She's left behind her friends, a group of freaks and geeks called the Leftovers, including her emo-rocker boyfriend, and her father.

By the time Labor Day rolls around, Marcie suspects this "summer vacation" has become permanent. She has to start at a new school, and there she leaves behind her Leftover status when a cute boy brings her breakfast and a new romance heats up. But understanding love, especially when you've watched your parents' affections end, is elusive. What does it feel like, really? Can you even know it until you've lost it?

Love & Leftovers is a beautifully written story of one girl's journey navigating family, friends, and love, and a compelling and sexy read that teens will gobble up whole."
 
Concept/Ideas: 3/5
Storyline/Plot: 2.5/5
Characters: 3/5
Writing Style: 3.3/5

Eek... Sarah Tregay's Love and Leftovers did not do it for me whatsoever. I understand that this book was one of the most widely read contemporary books of 2012, but I just couldn't see the like to the book!

Firstly, I did in fact love that the book was written in verse. Knowing me, I'm a huge fan of any novel in verse, especially Ellen Hopkins. So when I went to dive into this book, I was expecting a great read. Sadly, I was disappointed.

I felt that Love and Leftovers fell short. I wasn't neccesarily expecting a lot from the synopsis, but at the same time, I still expected more.

The characters were not very likable, and I found that they lacked personality and a real face to them. I'm not sure if it's just because of the way the book was written, or what, but I didn't feel that they had any real substance to their individual characters -- even the main one.

I feel that although Ellen Hopkins for example, writes all of her novels in verse, you still get a real, raw feel for each character, and they are definitely not faceless. Maybe Tregay's writing just wasn't deep enough for me.

It got a bit better toward the ending, and I found that I liked it at some point, but not enough for me to really take it into consideration when I thought about how I felt about the novel overall.

That's why I feel that it is in fact better than a 3 stars, but just not quite 3.5 star matierial.

This book was an okay read, but nothing spectactular.
I still expect to read more of Tregay's writing though, and can only hope that her others novels are better.


No comments:

Post a Comment